Monday, July 11, 2011

Susan's Tulips

Susan's Tulips
11"x14" oil on canvas

It has been awhile since I last posted. I have had several family obligations this summer and had very little time to paint, but hopefully that will change now! I have tried to keep up with my art friends' blogs, but also have had little time for that too. So excited to be catching up soon!

I painted these tulips back in May after a lovely dinner at a dear friend's home. She and her husband had several couples over one evening and these tulips were the centerpiece on the table. As an artist, I couldn't help but sit there and wonder how I would paint them! I sat and wondered what colors I would mix to get the color of the petals and how I would set it up in my studio. I know some of you know what I am talking about! Anyway, since she is a good friend, I just asked when I left that evening if I could borrow her tulips to paint them! Since she was so kind to let me take them with me, I just decided to give her the painting. 

I set the tulips up on a sheet of glass in my studio to get the reflection you see in the front. Then, when I lit the set up, the reflection just appeared! I love doing this and learned this tip from several other artists.

I hope you all are enjoying your summer and getting in more painting time than I am!

6 comments:

  1. Very nice, Denise! Reflections are fun! Look at the Daily Paintworks Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise- You have been missed!! This is wonderful- lovely tulips, gorgeous colors and man, those reflections are fun and awesome. Know your summer has been crazy- hope know you have that time to PAINT!!::):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have been having lots of fun, traveling to many workshops. It's fun for me too as I see your work changing almost with every post. The tulips are wonderful and I think have a little "Nancy Franke" essence about them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I am so glad you decided to pursue your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Denise! So glad you are pursuing your passion.

    ReplyDelete