Saturday, January 21, 2012

"Black-Eyed Susans"

"Black-Eyed Susans"
10"x10" oil on gallery wrapped canvas

I painted this painting of the black-eyed susan flowers that bloom each year at the friendship entrance to my house. I love them when they are blooming and they bring such sunshine to our side door for guests to enjoy as they come to visit. 

It was sold during and event at the Memphis Botanic Gardens called "Incognito." At this event, 80 Memphis area artists were asked to create and donate a 10"x10" painting with a botanical theme and NOT sign the front of the work. Gala attendees then bid on these paintings during the evening and at the end (after auction was over), the artists went to their respective paintings and signed them! Also, we were asked to "play along" and attend the event in disguise to go along with the theme of "buy what you like not who you know." So fun! I included a photo of my "disguise" along with my cohort (or fellow female Blues Brother!), artist Judy Nocifora. Also a photo with the happy art patron who purchased my painting.

I will have to say here that even though I looked goofy all night walking around with my hair stuffed in a hat with feathers and dark sunglasses on, I had a blast! I met other artists that I didn't know (which is always fun!) and saw lots of friends from the community who are art and Botanic Garden supporters. Great evening and a successful event for the Botanic Garden!




4 comments:

  1. What great fun! Congratulations on the sale. I can see why you like the flowers at the entrance to your home. Very cheerful.... & Very cheerful painting too. I like the idea of not signing until after the sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting- love the shadows and the way you painted the flowers is perfect. Love the idea of a friendship wall! Fun night and lucky patron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Denise. Sounds like you all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete