Friday, February 3, 2012

"Garden Bridge"



Both of the images above are versions of the same scene of tulips at our local museum and gardens, Dixon Gallery and Gardens here in Memphis. They plant thousands of tulip bulbs each year and I made sure last spring to visit and have lots of great reference photos to paint from that visit. It is a fun subject when days are short and gray in winter, even though we have had no snow or really cold weather this year.

In my mentoring with Lori Putnam, I am working on edges and paint application along with composition and all of the other aspects that make up a good painting. I am having so much fun and we have such a fabulous small group of artists that I look forward to it each time we meet! Plus, I am positive it is the first time in my life I can't wait to get home and do my homework! Lori is challenging us and helping each artist work on their specific goals in painting. Fun times!

6 comments:

  1. Both are beautiful! Know you are loving Lori's class. I enlarged and tried to see what different things you were working on or emphasizing. Would love to know so I can learn too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the top painting better because I am into the more vibrant colors. But I really love both of them. I just had to pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I like the sense of sunlight, especially in version 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of sun in these. I so envy your mentoring with Lori. Its exciting to receive news about it when you post it on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these paintings are just wonderful, the garden must be beautiful in spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found your blog by chance and just wanted to say your work is lovely and very poetic. Looking forward to seeing more posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete