Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Dawn Whitelaw Workshop

Momentary by Dawn Whitelaw

First, NO, this is not my painting! I wanted to share some of the beautiful work of the fabulous Dawn Whitelaw who is coming to my area today to teach a workshop. The workshop is going to be held at a local gallery, Artreach Gallery, in Germantown, TN. If you are an artist or an art patron and have not seen Dawn's work, make sure you click on the link and enjoy the feast for your eyes! 

This will be my third workshop with Dawn, and to be perfectly honest, I will never miss an opportunity to spend time painting with this fabulous artist and most importantly, fabulous teacher. Being a teacher myself, I am more aware than most about what makes a "good" teacher and what does not. As you know if you are one of my regular blog readers, I have enjoyed every workshop I have taken, but some artists make better artists than they do teachers. However, let me emphasize here that Dawn is, indeed, a "great" teacher. She has the gift of being able to inspire, encourage, and lead a student to discover things on their own and develop those problem solving skills that will serve them so well in the future. Aside from all that, she has a gentle spirit and is so encouraging to be around. Her excitement about her work and her teaching is infectious, which makes it even more fun to be around her. If you are an artist, and you ever have the opportunity to study with Dawn, take it!


5 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to find such a lovely artist who is also an inspirational teacher. Have fun Denise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting by Dawn- love her work. I look forward to getting to study with her one day. Have heard she is a wonderful teacher. Lucky you! Have a blast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give her a hug and tell her we've missed her today in the studio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise. I am so glad you commented on Brian Sherwin's post about blogging about one's own artist influences. I had hoped he would put in a link to an artist's blog as an example, and then I read your comment. I thought it was a good post, and I loved reading your post about Dawn as your influence. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn's work is beautiful. I really like her work, and am so glad to know that she is a great instructor as well. You are so very fortunate to have the opportunity to study with her, Denise.

    ReplyDelete