Tuesday, February 28, 2012

"Just Docked"

Just Docked
9"x12" oil on linen canvas panel

Just a quick post to share a painting I recently completed. I took the reference photo when I was in the St. Simons Island area last fall and have wanted to paint this little boat that had just docked before we arrived at this spot to paint. It ended up being too windy to paint that day, so I took down a few notes about the day in my sketch book and took a photo so I could remember what attracted me to this scene while there. I loved the colors of the marsh grasses in the foreground and background, along with the yellow color of the boat itself. Might have to do this one larger! 


8 comments:

  1. Lucky you to be at my favorite place- Saint Simon's Island and to catch such a wonderful moment. Good job and just love when it all comes together!
    Look forward to seeing you at Nancy Franke's workshop!! Yay- gonna be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out beautifully, Denise. Great composition, and I love the warm tones in the sky, as well as the marsh grasses. Yes, I remember the high winds that day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, nicely done and an excellent compositon! I also like the bridges from your workshop, wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, this is a beautiful painting. Sorry I won't be able to attend the workshop next week-end. I was looking forward to seeing you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome painting Denise! The boat makes a wonderful center of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done! Love the orange of the boat set against the surrounding blues and greens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the harmonious colors ...the foliage and the boat all work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, joy! I loved seeing this image when I opened your blog. Love the place, love the painting!!!

    ReplyDelete